Heirloom Tomato Salad With Mozzarella And Basil Cream
This heirloom tomato salad with fresh mozzarella cheese and basil cream, is an incredibly delicious summer salad recipe that will have you enjoying tomatoes all summer long. Nothing signals the peak of Summer better than the bountiful heirloom tomatoes and bunches of basil present at local farmer's markets everywhere. The secret to this summer salad is to use the freshest and highest quality ingredients available. The juicy punchy flavors of the heirloom tomatoes along with fresh basil and basil cream make a perfect marriage that is complemented by the tang of red onions and the crisp, juicy flavor of freshly sliced cucumber. Make sure to use fresh mozzarella when making this salad and you'll have a tomato basil summer salad that blows all others out of the water.
3 Pounds heirloom tomatoes
¼ English cumber
¼ cup sliced red onion
¼ cup heavy cream
1 cup freshly sliced mozzarella cheese
¾ cup olive oil
4 cups basil leaves
Extra virgin olive oil as needed
Fleur de sel or Kosher salt
1. Basil oil needs to be made for the basil cream. Fortunately, basil oil is fairly simple to make. Blanch 3 cups of fresh basil for about 10 seconds, then remove the basil and plunge in an ice water bath to stop the basil from cooking any further.
2. Using a blender, blend the basil with 3/4 cups of olive oil until a nice thick paste is formed.
3. Strain the basil oil to remove any solids, so that you are left with the flavored oil.
4. Whisk the heavy cream in a metal bowl until "soft peaks" are formed, then combine your whipped cream with the strained basil oil.
5. Slice the tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices
6. Slice the fresh mozzarella cheese into 1/4 inch pieces
7. Peel the cucumbers then cut them into 1/4 inch by 2 inch batons
8. Thinly slice the red onions into 1/8 inch pieces
9. To finish the salad, toss the tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, with extra virgin olive oil, the remaining basil leaves, and season with kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Serve with the fresh mozzarella and top with the basil cream.